You must be the change you wish to see in the world. ~Mahatma Gandhi
In the blink of an eye. The equivalent of 1/3 of a second of precious time. It is a testament of how quickly life can change. As racers, the Dina Parise Racing team can certainly attest to that, but accidents happen in everyday life just the same. Lives become disrupted as in the case of 20-year-old Katy Daniel.
In an instant
Her story: On Mother’s Day 2016 Katy was involved in a horrific, life altering accident. She was working on fence to be installed for her horse, Ginger by helping her uncle with an auger attached to his tractor to dig holes for the pasture posts. Katy’s hair became entangled within the rotary shaft of the operating auger; resulting in total scalping of Katy’s head, the loss of her forehead, one eyebrow and both ears.
Katy was taken by Medevac that tragic day to MCV/VCU Critical Care Hospital in Richmond, Virginia where she remained hospitalized for two months, due to her injuries. She has undergone five surgeries thus far to reconstruct the cranium; the longest being sixteen hours in length. Katy has many more surgeries and years of reconstruction ahead of her. Due to the in depth trauma and loss specific anatomy, Katy will most likely be traveling throughout the United States for specialty care.
Katy lives in Dinwiddie County Virginia with her identical twin Taylor, and her parents Russell and Melissa Daniel. “Katy has been an Inspiration and Warrior during this trying time, given the life changing trials she faces daily.” Said Melissa Daniel “She continues on through doubt’s and failures, most of the time with a smile. Though its painful, she gives all the determination and courage within her. She starts every day with a new hope, and has Faith for better days ahead.”
As many of you may know, Dinwiddie is well known for many things; among them Virginia Motorsports Park. The Dina Parise Racing team has, for many years, considered VMP and Dinwiddie a ‘second home’. “We have been going to VMP for so long, we consider everyone one there family to us.” Said Dina Parise “We met our crewmember Butch in 2009 when he worked the staging lanes. He is now part of our family and our ‘go to’ guy.”
When the Parise’s became aware of Katy’s situation they felt they needed to get involved. “We feel as if it is our community.” Said Parise. Not wanting to invade the privacy of the family, Parise called longtime friend and WTVR CBS 6 Reporter, Wayne Covil who had been covering Katy’s story exclusively. He assisted Parise in beginning the process of getting the fundraiser off the ground.
The Fundraiser: For those of you familiar with DPR you are aware the team is no stranger to the charity/fundraising world! This fundraiser for Katy is no ordinary fundraiser! Katy’s spirits will be lifted by of course donations being made, but along with each donation a #KATYSTRONG decal will be placed on Stella (the Cadillac) to show support. This will coincide with Dina Parise competing in the Xtreme Pro Mod category, driving her famed Cadillac ‘Stella’, at the NMCA Super Bowl at Route 66 Raceway in Joliet, IL. July 29-31.
For those who donate, there is also the opportunity for schwag to be won! Lastly, someone’s face will take a ride IN Stella at the NMCA Super Bowl race at Route 66! Be sure to donate, and it could be you!
Here’s how this will work:
Donations: (Please read carefully)
- Donations can be made to the Katy Daniel Go Fund Me Page:
- Visit: https://www.gofundme.com/23d2hmk
- In honor of each Donation DPR will put a #KATYSTRONG decal on Stella.
- Let’s fill Stella with #KATYSTRONG decals to show our support!
Donate to win cool stuff and rules:
- Now, here’s why it’s REALLY COOL to donate!
- Each Donation will enter you in a drawing, the winner will be picked at random.
- When donating on the Go fund Me Page, leave your name, and use #KatyStrong/DPR in comments to be entered*
- *Drawing to be held Thursday July 28, 2016 at 12:00PM CST*
- If your name is selected, you will receive: Schwag from DPR and (DPR marketing partners) Aerospace Components and Car Chix.
- But wait… There’s more; the person selected will also have their face (OK, a photo of their face) ride along as a passenger inside Stella during the NMCA race at Route 66 Raceway July 29-31! Right there on the front dash! It’s the next best thing to being there! But hey, that makes YOU the star of the next DPR in-car video …!
- Be sure to pass this along to everyone you know! Let’s all be #KatyStrong and support this amazing girl!
- If you are attending the NMCA race at Route 66 in Joliet, IL and would like to make a donation, have no fear! Please come see DPR on the Manufacturers Midway !That is where our pit is located. We will be collecting donations for #KATYSTRONG throughout the event.
- Can’t get to the track? Be sure to follow along on DPR’s Social Media! The team will come to you LIVE via DPR’s Facebook Mentions ( http://facebook.com/DPariseRacing ) throughout the weekend! In addition, the team always has a LIVE ‘Pit Cam’ set up! See what happens between rounds of racing and throughout the day! To view, visit the team’s website at: https://dinapariseracing.com/ . For the full racing experience, you can view the on-track action as well on http://bangshift.com/ ! Don’t miss a beat!
Schwag provided by: Aerospace Components Inc., Car Chix and Dina Parise Racing
Thank you to: Wolf Customs for providing the #KatyStrong decals.( http://wolfcustoms.net/ )
Thank you to: Aerospace Components, Eastwood, CRC Auto ( Smart Washer) NGK, Lucas Oil, Speedwire Systems, Hussey Performance, Hoosier, Motorsports Unlimited, Crank It Media.
Please visit https://dinapariseracing.com/marketing-partners . There you will find more information regarding the companies listed as well as some *special offers*! The team encourages you to try the products and services these companies offer. The fact remains that they do use them all. That is the best recommendation! The DPR team would like to thank all of their Marketing Partners for their continued support! Contact DPR to become a Marketing Partner as well! Let DPR work for you!
Get Social: Be sure to join the DPR team on all their Social Media! Their Website will show you the way! So for all things DPR please visit https://dinapariseracing.com/ Parise has quite a bit on her plate for the 2016 season on the track and off. Be sure to follow along on Social Media to keep up with it all!
Photo Credits: Melissa Daniel, Dina Parise Racing Inc.